PhishMe 2015 Enterprise Phishing Susceptibility Report Shows Which Type of Attack Emails Have Highest Penetration Rates, Provides Guidance on How to Reduce Risk
LEESBURG, Va. – December 21, 2015 – PhishMe® Inc., the pioneer in human-phishing defense solutions, today released the 2015 Enterprise Phishing Susceptibility report. Data was gathered from 8 million phishing simulation emails sent to 3.5 million enterprise employees to provide analytics showing how susceptible enterprise employees are to falling victim to phishing attacks — the most common cyberattack vector in use today. Additionally, the report demonstrates how effective training can condition employees over time to spot, report and help defend their organizations against phishing.
The most salient of the findings were related to understanding which type of attacks had the highest penetration rates, including:
- 87% of the employees who opened a phishing simulation email did so on the day it was sent – which means organizations have little time to catch a targeted attack aimed at multiple employees.
- 67% of those who responded to a phishing email are repeat offenders and likely to respond to another phishing attempt.
- Business communication themed emails were most effective at phishing; those with the subject lines “File From Scanner” (36%) and “Unauthorized Activity/Access” (34%) had the highest penetration rates.
In addition to demonstrating how frequently phishing emails slip past employees, the report also revealed that through effective training, employees can be turned into valuable security assets that can serve as a layer of intelligence and defense against attacks. Behavioral conditioning decreased susceptible employees’ likelihood to respond to a malicious email by 97% after just 4 simulations.
“Analytics resulting from the report reveal three very pertinent conclusions — that enterprises remain vulnerable to phishing-driven compromises, they need to place more reliance on employees to help them defend their organizations, and consistent training turns employees into informants that can spot attacks before they turn into catastrophes,” said Rohyt Belani, CEO and co-founder, PhishMe.
To view the full research report findings, visit https://phishme.com/enterprise-phishing-susceptibility-report/
Connect with PhishMe
- Follow PhishMe on Twitter: https://twitter.com/phishme
- Follow PhishMe’s Blog: https://https://phishme.com/blog/
- Follow PhishMe on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/phishme-inc-
PhishMe® is the leading provider of human-focused phishing defense solutions for organizations concerned about their susceptibility to today’s top attack vector – spear phishing. PhishMe’s intelligence-driven platform turns employees into an active line of defense by enabling them to identify, report and mitigate spear phishing, malware and drive-by threats. Our open approach ensures that PhishMe integrates easily into the security technology stack, demonstrating measurable results to help inform an organization’s security decision making process. PhishMe’s customers include the defense industrial base, energy, financial services, healthcare and manufacturing industries, as well as other Global 1000 entities that understand changing user security behavior will improve security, aid incident response and reduce the risk of compromise.